Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Just another day in the land of LEFSE

Thursday, Jamie, Frank and I volunteered at Oslo's Oktoberfest. Our job was to manage the coat check. Not much work considering the event was in an outdoor tent and it's only been around 12 degrees Celsius this week. English in the coat check! Unfortunately, the day we spent indoors was by far the most beautiful. We actually saw the sun! The rest of the week it was also freezing cold. I've already considered taking out my winter boots and jacket and it's only October! It's also been very dark. The sun doesn't rise until 7:30 and sets before 6. After dinner walks have turned into before dinner walks otherwise we'd need flash lights. It wouldn't be so bad if it would snow already. I asked... not until late November at the very earliest. It's pretty sad, I'm already listening to Christmas music.
Anyways... back to Oktoberfest. In exchange for volunteering we were given FREE vouchers and entrance the next day. We had a great time Friday night.

We were able to try many different kinds of beer and eat way too many sausages. The Norwegians sure do love their sausages! and I love 'em too! We brought along Jamie's Polish room mate and our Czech friend Jon.

That night Jamie and I made apple french toast.

It has to sit in the fridge over night. I was worried that it was going to be dry.. but it turned out amazing. A perfect late morning treat.

I really do miss my pumpkins. Fall isn't fall without them here. I've seen a couple small pumpkins, but they run about $16 USD.
Sunday I took a tour of old Oslo (used to be called Kristiana). We saw the oldest buildings, many dating back to the 17th century. Norway is a little confusing to me historically. Their independence day took place on May 17th, 1814 but then 2 months later they joined a union with Sweden for nearly 100 years. What happened to Independence? Some times I become a little bored here in Norway. For awhile I really wondered what people did here that made them stay here. Now if found it! The Norwegians truly have this life figured out. The key Norwegian values are moderation, closeness to nature, and equality. All of those can never be bad things. It just takes getting used to I guess.
I'm studying Norwegian folklore right now. Now I understand why Malin always made a fuss about the Danish, claiming they speak funny and all. Norway is resentful of the dictatorship Denmark had over them for so long. After that union broke Norway set off in a frantic attempt to identify the authentic Norwegian. Interestingly enough this came in the shape of folklore. Rural farmers and peasants had been somewhat shielded from Danish rule by the mountains and illiteracy so their stories still held "Norwegian truth".
Monday I had a full day of classes. A very long, long day especially after a 2 week break.
Me and Jamie in a lecture hall:


We've started to attend the free movies on campus.They are Norwegian films with English subtitles. This week they played "Mars and Venus". Last week was "Buddy".

Jamie and I have also managed to maintain walking around the lake twice a day. It's not hard when the trees are so gorgeous!

No comments:

Post a Comment