Monday, August 9, 2010

2, pretty much uneventful, days have passed. The sun has been shining although the forecast predicted rain throughout the entire week. I am NOT complaining.
Again, yesterday I went to the beach. I didn't talk to a single person all day. It was horribly boring although my tan is probably the darkest it's ever been. I blame it on the salt water.
This morning I ran a few errands downtown. I finally know where I live! My post is open!

Natalie Madden
Olav M. Troviks Vei 26
H0404
0864 Oslo, Norway

Hopefully I'll start receiving mail soon. Wink. Wink ;)
I also walked around the campus a bit today. It is much smaller than the U. It is like walking around the "mall" area at the U of M. It takes probably 10 minutes from one side to the other. I was a little surprised when it just ended.
I've been really tired, almost sick lately. I'm not sure from what. SO I came back to my apartment and took a nap this afternoon. In the middle of my nap I woke up to a unfamilliar girl standing above me. We were both a little frightened. The arrival of my room mate. Her name is Miriam and she is from Germany. We went to the grocery store and had dinner together. We also cleaned the bathroom together. haha. She seems very nice and I think we will make great room mates. I am thrilled to be in the presence of another person again!
I seem to be the youngest one studying here. Most everyone else is at least 21 or older. I feel young, but I am ale to have conversations with them and relate to them on similar levels so we are all getting along well. They all seemed very surprised when they found out I was only 19.
Today I also went through my receipts to find out excatly how much I was paying for things. I was more than a little surprised when I found out that I payed $9 for some cheese! Oops.
For the rest of the week I think I'm going to do some touristy things around Oslo.
4 days until more people start arriving and the party starts! School starts a week from today. I can't wait! I just finished my second book in a week and am so thirsty for another one. Hopefully my American literature class will help with that.
I've read a little online about my classes but don't know my schedule yet. It's interesting because all of my assignments are worth zero points, but to take the final exam they all need to be turned in. The 4 hour final exam is 100% of the grade! I better study up.
I miss my family, friends, and Ben everyday, but things are looking better and time is moving quicker than I expected it would. Yet, I'm already looking into the fall and anticipating the things I'll miss, Halloween and Thanksgiving for sure. For those who know me well, you know I don't do well without pumpkins in the fall. Thus, I have requested for mom to send me some. As for other things I have wanted from home:
-Maple Syrup: Can't find it here
-baking pans: I need my muffins and breads!
-my cell phone: The cheapest one I can get here is 50 USD
-Instant coffee: I don't want to buy a coffee maker and I'm struggling without the caffeine
-Recipies: for the holidays
-Candy: to trade with other exchange students
-Cheap dried foods: so I don't spend myself into the ground

It was very smart of me to bring toothpaste, shampoo, etc. from home. Here they are all quite expensive and don't come in 'family' size bottles. I also have difficulty recognizing some of the products. 'Is this hand soap or body wash?'

I am also sad about missing the swim season, my favorite time of year. I'm not sure they can put me on skype at a swim meet. haha. Hopefully my sisters won't miss me too much. I wish more than anything I could be there for them.

I am hoping to find either a job or volunteer position in a middle school english class here. When I return I will need 72 hours with kids to even apply to my major. So cross your fingers for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment